Saturday 17 April 2010

Mike Nesbitt challenges DUP to public debate

Mike Nesbitt, Conservatives and Unionists candidate for Strangford, has challenged the DUP’s Jim Shannon to join the other main candidates at the election debate scheduled for Regent Street Presbyterian Church on Thursday 29th April.

“I understand most of the candidates have already indicated their willingness to attend, but Mr Shannon has quoted a prior engagement. I also had plans for next Thursday evening, but was happy to cancel and attend the debate. The public are right to expect all the candidates to do likewise.

"The debate is being organised by Christian Aid and will be the only opportunity the voters of Strangford will have to question the Parliamentary candidates on their views.

“After a year of shame and scandal in politics, all candidates have a duty to be totally open and transparent with the voters. That means standing in front of real voters, answering real questions.

“I repeat, I have cancelled my plans and will attend Regent Street on Thursday 29th. If Jim really cannot break his prior engagement, let him propose an alternative time, and I’ll be there."

No comments:

Post a Comment